Testing AI Assistants on SWOT Analysis of Jersey, Channel Islands
Author: Stuart Watkins
Over the last few of years, we’ve dedicated considerable time to developing our business and assisting our clients with strategy, planning, and growth.
My professional background lies in advertising and marketing, and the emergence of the Internet prompted my transition to the digital realm. I vividly recall obtaining my first dial-up account through MS-DOS in 1995 while working at A&M Records. I must admit, my colleagues probably thought I was a bit crazy as I passionately conveyed that this technology would revolutionize everything.
Similarly, we are experiencing a transformative period with the rise of AI.
Earlier this year, we relocated from London to Jersey. Inspired by my fascination with strategy, planning, and digital innovation, I embarked on an intriguing experiment: conducting a SWOT analysis of Jersey using cutting-edge AI tools and plugins.
This seems like an excellent opportunity to combine my interests and explore the potential of my new home.
It’s worth noting that ChatGPT, has limited access to the web (up until 25/05/2023) and is trained on data up until 2021.
In our pursuit of more up-to-date information, we enlisted the assistance of AI agents such as AutoGPT and iBabyAGI for this task. These tools will take a request, gather all the data and report back to you as a researcher or personal assistant might do. However, it’s important to acknowledge that these agents are still in their early stages, and like any AI resource, there is a possibility of generating inaccurate information. Therefore, it is essential to verify the data.
With transparency as our guiding principle, let’s assess their performance, acknowledging any imperfections or shortcomings.
Bear in mind the following comes from one prompt:
“Conduct a SWOT analysis of Jersey projecting over the next five years“
Now this is a pretty basic prompt. I would usually provide much more guidance along the lines of:
“Pretend you are a visionary economist with in-depth experience of the current market and prediction of future trends in digital, finance, artificial intelligence and geopolitics.
You are tasked with delivering a SWOT analysis on Jersey, Channel Islands based on current and projected trends.”
With that in mind. Let’s see how it got on with the basic prompt…
Generate a task list
- Gather data on Jersey’s current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- Analyze trends and projections in the Jersey market over the next 5 years
- Create a report summarizing the SWOT analysis and providing recommendations for businesses operating in Jersey
Gather data on Jersey’s current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
Based on my research, here are some potential strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for Jersey over the next 5 years:
• Strong tourism industry, with a variety of attractions and activities for visitors
• Well-developed financial services sector with a favourable tax environment
• High quality of life, with good healthcare, education, and infrastructure
• Diverse economy with a mix of industries, including agriculture, manufacturing, and technology
• Limited land area and population, which can limit economic growth and diversification
• Dependence on external trade and investment, which can be affected by global economic conditions
• High cost of living, which can make it difficult to attract and retain talent
• Limited natural resources, which can limit opportunities for certain industries
• Growing demand for sustainable tourism and eco-tourism, which could attract new visitors and support local businesses
• Increasing interest in fintech and digital finance, which could create new opportunities for the financial services sector
• Growing demand for locally sourced and sustainable food, which could support the agriculture industry
• Potential for increased investment in renewable energy and other green technologies, which could support economic growth and sustainability
• Uncertainty around Brexit and its impact on trade and investment
• Competition from other destinations for tourism and investment
• Potential for natural disasters or other events that could disrupt the economy or infrastructure
• Increasing pressure to address environmental issues and reduce carbon emissions, which could require significant investment and changes to current practices.
Jersey SWOT Analysis Fact Check
So on the whole the response wasn’t bad apart from the slight inaccuracy regarding Jersey’s manufacturing sector in the strengths analysis. It seems to have been a small hallucination from the AI, but overall, it still serves as a decent starting point.
From this we can see that, AI can be highly beneficial in providing a solid foundation for further discussion. At this stage of a project, it would be wise to involve multiple stakeholders to thoroughly review and fine-tune the analysis. Their insights and expertise would contribute to a more comprehensive and accurate assessment.
You could ask the AI to do a deeper dive into specific sections or suggest aspects you would like it to focus on for further improvement.
Do you live in Jersey? Any glaring omissions or failures we missed? Email me at [email protected].
Next, the AI proceeded to its next task, examining future trends…
Analyze trends and projections in the Jersey market over the next five years
Based on the data gathered on Jersey’s current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, as well as an analysis of trends and projections in the Jersey market over the next five years, the following SWOT analysis can be conducted:
•Jersey has a strong tourism industry, with various attractions and activities for visitors.
•The island has a stable political and economic environment, and provides a favourable business climate.
•Jersey has a highly skilled workforce with a strong education system and a focus on professional development.
•The island’s small size and limited resources can make it difficult to compete with larger markets.
•Jersey’s high cost of living can make attracting and retaining talent challenging.
•The island’s reliance on tourism and financial services industries can make it vulnerable to economic downturns.
•Jersey has the potential to expand its tourism industry by developing new attractions and marketing to new audiences.
•The island’s location and infrastructure make it attractive for businesses looking to establish a presence in Europe.
•Jersey can leverage its reputation as a well-regulated financial centre to attract new investment and business opportunities.
•The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted the tourism industry, which could continue to affect Jersey’s economy in the coming years.
•Brexit could have a negative impact on Jersey’s financial services industry, as the island’s relationship with the EU may change.
•Competition from other European destinations and beyond could make it difficult for Jersey to maintain its position as a top tourist destination.
Jersey SWOT Analysis (Future Trends) Fact Check
Jersey has a strong tourism industry. Jersey may be a hidden gem, but its tourism industry is far from what it once was. Before long-distance travel became more accessible, it was a popular destination for Brits. Today, some abandoned hotels dot the island, and the beaches can seem very quiet even during summer. Fort Regent, which used to be a thriving entertainment complex featuring a cable car, now lies in disrepair.
As locals, we appreciate having the island to ourselves. However, the government has prioritised revenue from finance and high-net-worth individuals, resulting in a decline in focus on the tourism industry.
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic
The AI missed that the COVID-19 pandemic is behind us and may have helped promote the Channel Islands due to its response, sheltered location and positive media coverage.
The island’s location and infrastructure make it an attractive location…
Considering Jersey’s advantageous location and infrastructure, it presents an attractive opportunity for growth. Rishi Sunak recently highlighted Northern Ireland’s “unique” and privileged position, benefiting from easy trade access to the UK and EU markets. Perhaps Jersey can aspire to something similar.
- It’s important to note some key omissions in the research.
The potential impact of the Russia/Ukraine War, including associated sanctions, should be considered.
- The influence of AI on the finance industry, specifically, requires attention.
- Opportunities for tourism and agriculture arising from global warming should not be overlooked.
The AI Agent then proceeded to do a deep dive into Jersey’s Financial and Real Estate sectors which we will link to shortly before it attempted to survey Jersey residents. A nice touch but out of its current scope.
Conduct a survey of Jersey residents to gather their opinions on the current state of the economy and potential areas for growth
I’m sorry, but I am an AI language model and I am not capable of conducting surveys. However, I can suggest some methods for conducting a survey of Jersey residents. One approach could be to use online survey tools such as SurveyMonkey or Google Forms to create a questionnaire and distribute it through social media, email, or other online channels. Another approach could be to conduct in-person interviews or focus groups with a representative sample of Jersey residents. It may also be helpful to work with local organizations or community groups to reach a diverse range of residents and gather their opinions on the economy and potential areas for growth.
So the AI couldn’t conduct a survey; maybe we can help. What are your thoughts on Jersey’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats? Email me at [email protected].
Worth a look at Dave Birss’s video on How to Research and Write Using Generative AI Tools
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/how-to-research-and-write-using-generative-ai-tools/ some great tips here for getting the best results out of AI